A report unverified yet by the military and posted by a Muslim intellectual on his Facebook said that the fanatical extremist group of ISIS is planning to turn Marawi City into a battleground.
The report apparently spins from the report, “an alarming news” just received from “a very reliable source” who informed that several boatloads of armed men believed to be ISIS (Maute Group) have landed in Barangays Bangon, Tuka Diawan and Poona Marantao and that Marawi City is now saturated with government troops, posted Robert Maulana Marohomsar Alonto early morning Friday on his FB.
“A military operation is expected to dislodge these gunmen from the aforesaid barangays,” he reechoed in his post opened with the word “Attention!”
Around 70% to 80% of the civilians in these barangays have evacuated, the report said, quoting the Non-Violent Peace Force that is attached to the International Monitoring Team, a civilian protection component formed in the peace agreement between the government and the MILF.
Alonto, a known Maranao intellectual and author, is an active Duterte supporter. He tried to run for senator in last year’s polls but was disqualified by the Comelec for being a nuisance candidate, which he contested.
Alonto questioned the reported ISIS plan: “This is sinister. Granting this is true, why would ISIS punish the people of Marawi City by turning it into a battlefield? It makes no sense; in fact, it is insanity of the highest order.
There must be a ‘partisan’ political element involved in this. It does not serve any cause to destroy Marawi City just like that. The city is inhabited by more than 90% Muslims, so what cause will it serve to destroy Marawi City by turning it into a battlefield?
Unless, of course, this is part of a larger destabilization scenario.
But at the expense of Bangsamoro Muslims?”(mindanaosunchronicle.com/Cha Monforte)